So you want to get your children outside, but find that time gets away from you? Organise a Family Nature Club with some friends or family to make sure you have a regular date in the outdoors!
What is a Family Nature Club?
A Family Nature Club is a group of families who gather together to share outdoor adventures and re-connect with nature together. All Family Nature Clubs share the basic goals to get out in nature on a regular basis and experience the benefits of time spent outside.
Each Family Nature Club is unique, in where they meet, how often they meet and what they do when they get together
A few key benefits
- Recent scientific evidence indicates direct exposure to nature is essential for physical and emotional health as well as normal child development.
- Family Nature Clubs can be created in any neighbourhood. It's a great opportunity to build relationships with like-minded others who are geographically close to you.
- The Family Nature Club approach can breakdown barriers, including fear of strangers - since there is safety in numbers.
- Motivation factor - it's much more likely you and your family are going to show up at a park on Saturday morning if you know that there's another family waiting for you.
- Shared knowledge - many parents want to give their kids the gift of nature, but they don't feel they know enough about nature to do so.
- There is no need to wait for funding. Families can do this themselves and do it now.
Most importantly, children feel better and behave better out of doors. Let them shake off some of the complexity of their usual lives and behave like kids again. Let your friends, neighbours, and school mates help you do it! Start a Family Nature Club!
How do I get started?
Find an existing Family Nature Club - contact an existing Family Nature Club in our online directory to join their activities.
Register your own Family Nature Club - just gather together friends and family, plan a few family-orientated activities outdoors to create your new club and then register it with us.